Sardar Valabhai Patel who installed the all India Civil Service said they are the steel flame of India’s government machinery. It has started since the British rule and post indepence it gain a into a diversified to large extend. Civil Service is the solid foundation upon which the rest of the bureaucracy rested, a bastion of the nation’s best and brightest providing unfailing support to others in government. To this day, even with vastly increased opportunities in the private sector, the IAS continues to attract India’s best and brightest. A career in Civil service is an oportunity to participate in governance that includes framing of important policies and dicisions for and on behalf of the country.
Pretige and Power:
There is immense prestige and power attached to the services. Because the government confers the power to act on behalf of the government to that position. And when implementing the government policies and plans they become the hero in their jurisdiction. As the work required, they travel the lengths and breadths of the country meeting different types of people often listening to their problems and come up with solutions to resolve those problems. Thus, it has immense opportunities to fulfil desire to provide social service to people in need and serving your country. Entry to these are based on one of the toughest exams conducted by the Union Public Service Commission.
The greatest thing about Civil Service is the job security. Special facilities include subsidized accommodation, telephone and transport facilities, medical benefits, leave travel concession, etc. Post retirement, they get very good social welfare facilities.
All India Service : There are 3 services and they are
- Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Police Service
- Indian Foreign Service
It call all India because their work is restricted to the cadre that is basicalyly restricted to the state the choose Or were given based on their rank. But there is a posibility of going on depoutation to other areas of work also on deputation
Central Services : There are 20 odd services
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Services
- Indian Audit and Accounts Services
- Indian Revenue Services (Customs and Central Excise)
- Indian Defence Accounts Services
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Traffic Service
- Indian Railway Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Personnel Service
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force
- Indian Defence Estates Service
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade)
- Indian Trade Service, Group ‘A’ (Gr. III)
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service
- Pondicherry Civil Service.
- Pondicherry Police Service
They can be transfer to any part of the contry where their office exist.